Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Cody's Kind of Cursing

On weekday mornings, after Cody eats breakfast and has a bath, he plops down in the recliner, listens to the morning news on television and waits for a ride to his day program. 

This morning, as I was cleaning the kitchen, I heard Cody repeating, "Dumb something....(pause)....Dumb something....(pause)....Dumb something." 

Undoubtedly he was trying to get my attention, so I decided to stop and ask Cody why he was using the word dumb over and over and over. This his how our conversation went...

"Dumb what?" I asked.

"On TV." Cody replied.

"What about it?" I coaxed.

Cody, in his typical autistic manner, responded with clues rather than a complete sentence... "On TV. That person." 

"What person? What are you talking about? I don't understand." I continued.

Cody hinted, "WELL, you and dad call people that when you're frustrated." 

At that moment a little light went off in my head and I guessed, "Dumb shit? Are you calling someone on TV a dumb shit?" 

Cody smiled, then he readily admitted, "YES!"



And now you know that my husband and I are the kind of people who talk to the TV screen while watching reality television, game shows and news programs. :)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...