Sunday, September 1, 2013

Raisin Bran Muffins

I love bran muffins. However, like anything else, not all bran muffins taste the same. Costco's bran muffins (when they have them) are far too dense and sweet for my taste. I like to bake the following bran muffins for several reasons. #1- Along with white flour, the recipe incorporates 100% wheat flour, an ingredient I have to sneak into food so my husband will eat it. #2- It calls for my favorite kind of sugar...brown sugar (but very little of it). #3- The recipe includes unsweetened applesauce, making the batter nice and moist. #4- The muffins are full of bran, a terrific way to get fiber into your diet and #5- This recipe is simple and quick to throw together. You can enjoy fresh baked muffins in 30 minutes- start to finish.

Raisin Bran Muffins

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup Kellogg's All-Bran cereal
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins

Combine applesauce, oil, milk and egg. Stir in bran and let stand for 5 minutes.

In another bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gently stir dry ingredients into the bran mixture just until blended (do not beat). Fold in raisins and fill greased muffin tins. 



Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Wait 5 minutes before removing from pan.




Yield- 1 dozen 

1 comment:

I said...

I love any kind of muffin really, but pumpkin muffins and blueberry muffins are my absolutely favorites!

Ila @ http://www.hehasms.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...