Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Paradox of Time


Food for thought...

Are you treating the present moment as a means to an end (never fully here because you are always trying to get elsewhere), an obstacle to overcome (you see life as a problem to be solved before you can be happy), or an enemy (you hate what you are doing, complain about your surroundings, blame, accuse, etc.)?

In Echart Tolle's book, A New Earth Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, he says the following:

"Life is always in the now. Your entire life unfolds in this constant Now. Even past or future moments only exist when you remember or anticipate them, and you do so by thinking about them in the only moment there is: this one."

"There is a paradox here. On one hand, how can we deny the reality of time? You need it to go from here to there, to prepare a meal, build a house, read a book. You need time to grow up, to learn new things. Whatever you do seems to take time. Everything is subject to it, yet it all happens in the Now. That is the paradox."

Tolle's words have made me realize that I have been treating the Now as a means to an end; always thinking ahead. I am going to work on appreciating the present moment.

What are your thoughts on Time?

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I agree with you.. I am going to start thinking about my life in the now....When I think ahead it sometimes makes me anxious and nervous. I tend to think of the worst and want to control how things will turn out. It is hard to enjoy the now when I let that happen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...